Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: ‘Fearless (King Series)’ by Tawdra Kandle

Reviewed by Lindsey






Tasmyn Vaughn didn't expect much when her dad’s job moved them to a small town in Florida; it was just another new school. But there is more to King than meets the eye, and soon Tasmyn’s ability to hear other’s thoughts is the least of her worries. Entangled in a web of first love, quirky and secretive townsfolk, magic and blood rituals, she discovers the town’s secrets aren’t just bizarre, they’re deadly.
                                                          (Amazon description)


Tasmyn is a teen that can read minds. Her parents are kind, however, they constantly worry about her ”special trait” being discovered. Their fears range from not fitting in at high school to the government using her for her abilities.

Similar story line as expected from a YA novel. Outcast meets THE BOY, the mean girl is the MEAN girl. Here is where this novel is different. This girl isn’t supermodel pretty…she seems average.  She is klutzy, doesn’t cause kids in the lunchroom to go silent with her athletic gifts or charisma.

The BOY likes her. He catches her reading his mind so she confesses her gift. The MEAN girl has specific reasons for her actions…and she is a fun villain to read about.

The only problem I had with the book was the language. I know I am ancient and it has been 10 years since I was in high school (ummmm 102), but boys weren’t as thoughtful nor were they as understanding as her boyfriend. The main characters spoke and behaved more like adults than teens. Again, maybe I hung out with the wrong crowd.  J

I give kudos to Ms. Kandle for writing a clean YA paranormal without boring me to tears. I didn’t even notice the lack of foul language or teenage sex. She managed this without coming across like an after school special.

The story was humorous, sweet, romantic and sometimes frightening. I would be comfortable recommending this to my 13 year old child or to my 45 year old friend.

Looking forward  to seeing what #2 in series will bring.

2 comments:

  1. It makes me so happy when an author can write a clean novel that holds a reader's interest. Great review.

    ReplyDelete