Monday, December 12, 2011

Review: "The Myth of Mr. Mom" edited by Jeremy Rodden

The Myth of Mr. Mom an anthology created, developed and published by the awesome Jeremy Rodden (aka @toonopolis )  

The Myth of Mr. Mom

The Myth of Mr. Mom is a collaborative non-fiction essay anthology written by stay-at-home dads that shares the personal stories of eight men from around the world.

The goal of the book is to help bring awareness to the fact that men are just as capable as women of being the primary caregiver, homemaker, and stay-at-home parent. We feel that there is a societal bias against stay-at-home dads that does not exist for stay-at-home mothers and seek to bring our stories to the public.

Filled with humorous anecdotes and eye-opening personal experiences, The Myth of Mr. Mom is simultaneously inspiring and entertaining. 



I agreed to review this because as a stay at home mom, I wanted to see how the male version did it. Yup the stay at home dad. I always thought I had a pretty good outlook on stay at home dads and actually know a few (dad's of kids who are in my kids class at school) I applaud any man who decides to take on this role, but after reading this I only wish more men would stand up and proudly shout to the world, "I am a stay at home dad and I am proud of it"

I loved this anthology, but have to say that I "connected" best with the second chapter, an essay from Christian Jensen.  From the get go he could have been describing my daily life, other than my kids get up before I do, can't imagine trying to write anything before 6:30am and don't have quite his quirky sense of humor. (though I love it!) I laughed so hard I cried reading this essay and will be happily reading it out loud to my own husband when he returns from drill this weekend, I think he will find it rather amusing as well.

I love that he...well I don't want to spoil it, but let me say his "encouraging" notes on the kids lunch sacks are priceless. Makes me think of the time I proudly walked my kids to the bus in my penguin flannel jammies, old ratty robe, and hubby's slippers because the driver has asked to speak with me about my the youngest boy's actions while he rode the bus. Utter humiliation for the child, yup. Will he act up again on the bus...probably not. LOL

Yes even though I am a stay at home mom, which seems to be more accepted in society, I understood, agreed with, and nodded along with these essays. You see it doesn't matter who's at home, mom or dad, we deal with the same issues, challenges, and we enjoy it. So the next time you meet a stay at home dad, don't think less of him, shake his hand and congratulate him for choosing what I think is the most rewarding job there is. Yes it is a job, without a paycheck, no vacation time, but none of that matters when the kidlets snuggle up, give you smooshy kisses and say you are the best mom/or dad in the world.

Whether you are a mom or a dad or an aunt, uncle or even just thinking of having kids, you need to read this anthology, it is worth it and I can't wait to read more. (hint hint Jeremy, start planning the next installment please)


Miranda

My Eclectic Bookshelf

2 comments:

  1. I don't even have kids and I want to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I don't think you need to have kids to want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete